Lookup Public Records in Union County, New Mexico. Including Vital Birth and Death Records, Deeds, Probate, Property Records, Mortgages, Liens, Judgments, Marriage Licenses, Voter Registrar, Payroll, Military Discharges.
Union County, New Mexico Overview
Union County is located in the U.S. state of New Mexico. The county was formed in 1893 and named after the “union” of the three counties which donated land to form the new county. The county seat is Clayton. According to the U.S. Census Bureau of 2016, the county has a population of approximately 4,183 people. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 3,831 square miles of which 3,824 square miles is land and 7.1 square miles is water. Union County borders the following counties: Las Animas County, Colorado to the north; Baca County, Colorado to the northeast; Cimarron County, Oklahoma to the east/Central Time border; Dallam County, Texas to the east/Central Time border; Hartley County, Texas to the southeast/Central Time border; Quay County to the south; Harding County to the south and Colfax County to the west. Union County has eight zip codes. The zip codes are 88410, 88414, 88415, 88418, 88419, 88422, 88424 and 88436. The most populated zip code is 88415.
Union County Clerk’s Office Information
According to the New Mexico Constitution, the duties of the County Clerk are:
- Serves as the Recorder of the county on behalf of the Board of County Commissioners.
- Acts as the Chief administrator of elections. All elections except municipal elections which are planned; conducted and canvassed by this office. The County Clerk’s Office is responsible for voter affidavits and files are processed and updated in this office. All records pertaining to elections are also maintained in this office.
- Serves as the Clerk of the Probate Court and handles informal proceedings only.
- Performs other miscellaneous duties such as, those of notary public, administration of oaths, certification of acknowledgments, declarations, instruments and protests.
The County Clerk is responsible for keeping records, resolutions and ordinances adopted by the Board of County Commissioners. The County Clerk serves as secretary to the commission and performs the following functions:
- Records in a book all proceedings of the board; makes regular entries of all resolutions and decisions in all questions concerning the raising of money; and records the vote of each commissioner on any question submitted to the board if requested by any member.
- Signs all orders issued by the board for the payment of money, records the action and records the receipts of the county treasurer that show the income and expenditures of the county.
- Preserves and files all accounts acted upon by the commission, noting the board’s action and performing such special duties as required by law.
- Maintains files of all newspapers published within the county.
- Issues marriage licenses and other permits and licenses.
All documents recorded at the Union County Clerk’s Office are public records. To search Union County Public Records Online, visit the following link:
Union County Clerk’s Office Website:
The mailing address of the Union County Clerk’s Office is:
P.O. Box 430
Clayton, NM 88415
The physical address of the Union County Clerk’s Office is:
100 Court Street Suite 2
Clayton, NM 88415
Phone: (575) 374-9491
Fax: (575) 374-9591
Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Mary Lou Harkins is the County Clerk of Union County. She can be contacted at (575) 374-9491 or emailed at email@example.com
Union County Clerk’s Office Staffs:
Brenda Green, Chief Deputy Clerk
Caitlyn Gonzalez, Deputy Clerk
Union County Clerk’s Office
County Government Office
Address: 200 Court St, Clayton, NM 88415, United States