Lookup Public Records in Chowan CountyNorth Carolina. Including Vital Birth and Death Records, Deeds, Probate, Property Records, Mortgages, Liens, Judgments, Marriage Licenses, Voter Registrar, Payroll, Military Discharges.

Chowan County, North Carolina Overview

Chowan County is located in the northeast region of North Carolina. Its county seat is Edenton. The county was initially created in 1670 as a precinct in Albemarle County called Shaftesbury. It was renamed Chowan after the Native American tribe that lived in the Carolina Colony. The area of the county measures 233 square miles with a population of 14,793 (2010). The county is bordered by Gates County in the north, Perquimans County in the east, Washington County in the south, Bertie County in the west, and Hertford County in the northwest. The zip codes are 27932 and 27980.

Chowan County Officials Information

All vital records and real estate recording are in the safekeeping of the Register of Deeds. This office also files military discharges and notary commissions. Real estate records that are archived in the Chowan County Register of Deeds office date back to the 1600’s. Marriage licenses filed in the office date back as early as 1868.

Register of Deeds Office:

Address: 101 S. Broad Street, Edenton, NC 27932
Phone: (252) 482-2619
Fax: (252) 482-3062
All information filed and recorded at the Register of Deeds Office is public record. Anyone who wants to obtain copies of records here can fill out a request form and submit it in person or online. The fee for a certified copy of birth, marriage, or death certificates is $10. The forms available at the Chowan County Register of Deeds Office includes an Affidavit of Consideration form, an Application for Copy of a Vital Record, and an Application for License and Certificate of Marriage. Completed forms must be brought in person or mailed to the office with the correct fee.

Chowan Court Records Information

Court records of cases heard in the General Courts of Justice for Chowan County are filed in the office of the Clerk of Superior Court. If you wish to view court records or get copies, you can call (252) 368-5000.

Chowan County Marriage License Office
In order to obtain a marriage license in Chowan County, the applicants must apply together, in person, at the County Clerk’s office. Both parties must present their state-issued picture ID, military ID, or passport, and know their social security number
State Law:Marriage … Powers and Liabilities of Married Persons – Ch. 52 & 52A and Uniform Premarital Agreement Act – Ch. 52B
All State Statutes: Information is online at the State Website
Office:Chowan County Marriage License
Location:101 South Broad Street, Edenton, North Carolina, 27932

Chowan County Register-Deeds Office
County Government Office

Address: 101 S Broad St, Edenton, NC 27932, United States
Phone: 252-482-2619

Please Share Your Review of This Office

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *