Lookup Public Records in Knox County, Illinois. Including Vital Birth and Death Records, Deeds, Probate, Property Records, Mortgages, Liens, Judgments, Marriage Licenses, Voter Registrar, Payroll, Military Discharges.
Knox County, Illinois
Knox County is located in Illinois, northwest of Peoria. It was established in 1825 and named for Henry Knox, first U.S. Secretary of War. As of the 2010 census, the population was 52,919, and the toal area is 720 square miles. The county seat is Galesburg.
Scott G. Erickson is the Knox County Clerk; his office is charged with a number of responsibilities which include:
- Maintain assumed business name filings.
- Calculating tax rates applied to property.
- Maintain vital records for Knox County (Birth records, Marriage records, and Death records).
- Issuing of Marriage Licenses.
- Maintaining voter registration for Knox County.
- Commissions for notaries.
- Maintain statement of economic interest filings.
- Administering elections in Knox County.
- Create County Board minutes.
- Maintain County Resolutions and Ordinance records.
Information regarding vital records, marriage licenses, County Board minutes, liquor or raffle licenses, registering of an assumed business name, Resolution or Ordinances, or notary commissions may be obtained by phone, by mail, in person or by doing a background check online.
To do a public records search online, you will have to visit the Knox County Clerk Website. While on the website, click on the relevant link to access the records available. To obtain records by phone call the county clerk at (309) 345-3815. However, for records relating to elections and voter registration, you can call the Elections Division at (309) 345-3858. To obtain records in person you will have to visit the clerk’s office at Knox County Courthouse, 200 South Cherry Street, Galesburg, IL 61401. Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30AM-4:30PM. You will be required to submit a filled out records request form.
You will be charged for copies of public records, below is the applicable fee:
- Birth and Marriage Records – $10.00 for the first copy, $2.00 for each additional copy of the same record.
- Death Records – $15.00 for the first copy, $6.00 for each additional copy of same record.
- Marriage License – $30.00
- Freedom of Information copy fees – Black and white copies on 8-1/2 X 11 or 8-1/2 X 14 papers – First 50 pages are free and additional pages at $0.15 per page. Color copies at $0.15 per page for all pages.
- Genealogical records are $5.00 for each search and non-certified copy of record if available.
|Knox County Marriage License Office|
In order to obtain a marriage license in Knox County, the applicants must apply together, in person, at the County Clerk’s office. Both parties must present their state-issued picture ID, military ID, or passport, and know their social security number
|State Law:||Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act – 750 ILCS 5 and Illinois Uniform Premarital Agreement Act – 750 ILCS 10|
|All State Statutes:|| Information is online at the State Website|
|Office:||Knox County Marriage License|
|Location:||200 South Cherry Street, Galesburg, Illinois, 61401|
Knox County Clerk’s Office
County Government Office
Address: 200 S Cherry St, Galesburg, IL 61401, United States