Lookup Public Records in Decatur County, Georgia. Including Vital Birth and Death Records, Deeds, Probate, Property Records, Mortgages, Liens, Judgments, Marriage Licenses, Voter Registrar, Payroll, Military Discharges.
Decatur County, Georgia Overview
Decatur County is a county located in the state of Georgia. The county was formed in 1823. Named after Stephen Decatur, the county seat is Bainbridge and it has a population of 27,174 as of 2015. The county has a total area of 623 square miles, with its land area encompassing 597 square miles, and its water area 26 square miles. The county consists of 8 ZIP codes, with ZIP code 39819 recorded as the one with the largest population. Moreover, Decatur County borders the following counties: Miller County, Georgia to the north; Gadsden County, Florida to the south; Grady County, Georgia to the east; Seminole County, Georgia to the west, and; Mitchell County, Georgia and Baker County, Georgia to the northeast.
Decatur Clerk of Superior Court Information
The Clerk of Superior Court is responsible for:
- Filing, recording and indexing all documents related to real estate for Decatur County including deeds, plats and cancellations.
- Filing and processing all Uniform Commercial Code (UCC’s), liens on personal property for public notice.
- Filing and processing for service of civil matters including suits of accounts, judgements, liens, fifa’s, divorce cases, adoptions, name changes, child support, change of custody and contempts.
- Filing and processing executed warrants, indictments, accusations and sentences on all felony and misdemeanor cases.
- Processing sentencing packages, post conviction
- Filing and processing all Juvenile cases
Role of the Clerk
- The Clerk of Superior Court is a Constitutional Officer, meaning the position was created by act of the Legislature in the state constitution, and has been a mandated county constitutional officer since the framers of the Georgia Constitution of 1798 provided for election of the Clerk of Superior Court in each of Georgia’s counties.
- The Clerk is responsible for protecting the integrity of public records and public funds. The Clerk receives, manages and processes all court documents, collects and disburses all court fees, fines, and costs, and provides the public with access to court records. The Clerk records deeds, mortgages, charters, and notaries public.
Limitations on the Clerk’s Office
- The clerk and deputy clerks would like to help all parties that ask for assistance, however, the clerk and deputy clerks are strictly forbidden to practice law by statute and are restricted in what they can give advice about or assistance in preparing paperwork for civil and/or criminal matters.
Below is the physical address of the Clerk of Superior Court:
Cecilia Willis, Clerk of Court
112 West Water Street
P.O. Box 336
Bainbridge, Georgia 39817
Office Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M.
Decatur Tax Assessor Information
The Board of Tax Assessors assesses property in the county for tax purposes and to compile the Tax Digest. It is a five-member board that includes Chairman Larry Carroll, Vice Chairman Ollie Mackey Alan R. Davis, Bill Harrell and Greg Smith.
The Office of the Board of Assessors maintains records of all properties within the county, the property owners and the fair market value of the property.
This Board directs a staff of appraisers and appraisal clerks to obtain and manage these records. Information from building permits and other sources are used. The properties are visited where improvements have been made or for verification of incorrect information.
In addition to establishing values for real and personal property, the Board is ordered by Georgia state law to submit a tax digest (a compilation of all property values, motor vehicle values, timber values, and exemption amounts) to the State Revenue Commissioner at the Department of Revenue.
The Decatur County Board of Tax Assessors is also designated to receive property tax returns for real and personal property and applications for various homestead exemptions, conservation use valuation, preferential agricultural assessment, forest land conservation use assessment and Freeport. It is the duty of the Board to determine the eligibility of these applications.
The Decatur County Assessor makes every effort to produce the most accurate information possible. No warranties, expressed or implied are provided for the data herein, its use or interpretation. The assessment information is from the last certified tax roll. All other data is subject to change.
Below is the physical address of the Tax Assessor:
Amy Rathel, Chief Appraiser
P.O. Box 1106,
Bainbridge, GA 39818
Phone: (229) 248-3008
|Decatur County Marriage License Office|
In order to obtain a marriage license in Decatur County, the applicants must apply together, in person, at the County Clerk’s office. Both parties must present their state-issued picture ID, military ID, or passport, and know their social security number
|State Law:||Marriage – Title 19, Chapter 3 and Domestic Relations – Sections 19-3-62 to 19-3-64|
|All State Statutes:|| Information is online at the State Website|
|Office:||Decatur County Marriage License|
|Location:||112 West Water Street, North Side, Bainbridge, Georgia, 31717|
Decatur County Clerk Office
County Government Office
Address: 112 W Water St, Bainbridge, GA 39817, United States