Lookup Public Records in Butts County, Georgia. Including Vital Birth and Death Records, Deeds, Probate, Property Records, Mortgages, Liens, Judgments, Marriage Licenses, Voter Registrar, Payroll, Military Discharges.
Butts County, Georgia Overview
Butts County is located in the state of Georgia. The county was formed in 1825 and named after Samuel Butts. The county seat is Jackson. As of 2010, the county has a population of 23,593. The county has a total area of 188 square miles, 184 square miles of which is land, and 3.6 square miles is water. The county consists of 5 ZIP codes, with ZIP code 30233 recorded as the one with the largest population. Butts County borders the following counties: Newton County, GA to the north; Monroe County, GA to the south; Jasper County, GA to the east; Spalding County, GA to the west; Henry County, GA to the northwest, and; Lamar County, GA to the southwest.
Butts County Clerk Information
The Office of the County Clerk is responsible for a variety of management, public outreach and legislative functions concerned with Public Policy, Government Relations, Communications, Marketing and Tourism, Records and Archives. These areas are divided up as follows:
- Facilitating and executing strategic external partnerships at the local, regional, state and federal levels.
- Serving as the County Legislative Coordinator, working with our Legislative Delegation on issues.
- Maintaining high levels of legislative tracking that allows the County to foresee and respond to emerging issues that can potentially affect its operations.
- Analyzing and helping to shape public policies that will create business and economic opportunities for the County.
- Operating effectively through the process of collaborating and partnering with key and strategic stakeholders in the best interests of all involved.
- Representing the County at official and ceremonial functions and advocating for the County and its outreach to the public
- Issuing permits for using County property, group assemblies and related.
Records And Archives
- Documenting and maintaining the archives of the records of actions undertaken by the Board of Commissioners
- Preparing the docket and organizing the meetings of the Board of Commissioners
- Overseeing the processes of responding to Open Records Requests in areas under the Commissioners.
- Curating historical documents, images and records of the County and its history.
Communications, Film, Marketing And Tourism
- Serving as the Georgia Camera Ready Liaison for the County and issuing film permits.
- Coordinating resources for movie, television and film productions that happen in Butts County
- Directing the County’s reputation, brand, and image on the local, regional, and state level.
- Directing the marketing, tourism and outreach of the County.
- Developing economic and tourism potential for Butts County, through partnerships with other local governments, venues, organizations and individuals, as well as coordinating these efforts through the various state offices engaged in Georgia tourism.
- Serving as Public Affairs Officer in issuing press releases, communications and announcements.
- Managing the County website, social media output and emergency notifications.
Thank you for your interest in viewing county records. Please fill out an Open Records Form and state the materials/records being sought. Requests which are unclear or illegible may result in error and delay in the process. County records would include matters pertaining to the meetings of the Board of Commissioners and the agencies that report directly to the Board of Commissioners. These would not include the records of Constitutional Officers or Elected Officials such as deeds, divorce records, marriage records, arrest records, other court records, tax records, tax liens, titles or related.
Certain records are exempt from open records request. This includes, but is not limited to the following: any information pertaining to an employee’s medical records, including insurance or documents that would be an invasion of personal privacy (OCGA 50-18-72); documents concerning an ongoing criminal investigation (OCGA 50-18-72-A 3); documents pertaining to real estate transactions, until such time as the transaction is completed (OCGA 50-18-72 A 6); documents sealed by court order (OCGA 50-18-70 B) and any documents that are covered by attorney/client privilege (OCGA 50-18-72 E)
Additionally, the Office is not required to produce records which do not exist; therefore, no public officer or county is required to prepare reports, summaries, or compilations not in existence at the time of the request. The only records covered are those not exempt by law.
This Office does not possess or maintain court records, criminal history records or any other records related to the operations of the judicial system of Butts County and its Courts. For inquiries of this nature, please contact the proper Court office that would have jurisdiction over these records.
The County has three business days to respond to the request for open records. This response will cover what records are available, an estimated amount of time it will take to process the request and an estimated cost for processing the request. If all conditions are agreeable to the requestor, the processing of the actual request will begin at this point. Please note that a request for open records is NOT required to be fulfilled within 3 business days – it is the response to the request that is required within that period of time.
The first 15 minutes of research time is at no charge; any research that is conducted beyond the first 15 minutes will be charged per hour at the hourly rate of the lowest paid full-time employee with the necessary skill and training to respond to your request. In addition, each document will have to be hand inspected to determine whether any of the information contained in the document is excluded or protected from disclosure. If such information is included, this will be redacted. Should you need copies of any of the requested records, the charge is generally 10 cents per page for letter and legal sized documents. There will be a charge for the actual cost of any media storage that is required to fulfill the request.
This office does not process any requests for Constitutional Officers (Sheriff, Tax Commissioner, Probate Judge, Clerk of Superior Court) or other court offices (Magistrate, Juvenile, Superior) or for Offices that do not work for the Board of Commissioners (Elections, Tax Assessors, Library). For these offices, please contact the agency head for those departments.
Office of the County Clerk
Open Records Request
625 W. Third Street Suite 4
Jackson, Georgia 30233
Below is the physical address of the County Clerk:
J. Michael Brewer, Government Relations Director/County Clerk
625 W. Third Street Suite 4
Jackson, Georgia 30233
|Butts, GA Genealogy and Ancestry Records|
|Source: U.S. Census Bureau, USA Counties Data File Downloads|
|Total Ancestries Reported 2005-2009||23,033|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - United States or American - 2005-2009||5,669|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Arab - 2005-2009||4|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - British - 2005-2009||27|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Czech - 2005-2009||30|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Danish - 2005-2009||73|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Dutch - 2005-2009||385|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - English - 2005-2009||2,526|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - European - 2005-2009||126|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - French (except Basque) - 2005-2009||331|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - French Canadian - 2005-2009||202|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - German - 2005-2009||1,703|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Greek - 2005-2009||43|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Hungarian - 2005-2009||14|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Irish - 2005-2009||2,693|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Italian - 2005-2009||261|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Lithuanian - 2005-2009||0|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Norwegian - 2005-2009||0|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Polish - 2005-2009||12|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Portuguese - 2005-2009||145|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Russian - 2005-2009||10|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Scotch-Irish - 2005-2009||364|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Scottish - 2005-2009||302|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Slovak - 2005-2009||0|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Subsaharan African - 2005-2009||225|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Swedish - 2005-2009||44|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Swiss - 2005-2009||71|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Ukrainian - 2005-2009||0|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Welsh - 2005-2009||148|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - West Indian (excluding Hispanic groups) - 2005-2009||14|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Other Groups - 2005-2009||7,557|
|Butts County Marriage License Office|
In order to obtain a marriage license in Butts County, the applicants must apply together, in person, at the County Clerk’s office. Both parties must present their state-issued picture ID, military ID, or passport, and know their social security number
|State Law:||Marriage – Title 19, Chapter 3 and Domestic Relations – Sections 19-3-62 to 19-3-64|
|All State Statutes:|| Information is online at the State Website|
|Office:||Butts County Marriage License|
|Location:||25 3rd Street, Jackson, Georgia, 30233|