Lookup Public Records in Banks County, Georgia. Including Vital Birth and Death Records, Deeds, Probate, Property Records, Mortgages, Liens, Judgments, Marriage Licenses, Voter Registrar, Payroll, Military Discharges.
Banks County, Georgia Overview
Banks County is located in the state of Georgia. Named after Richard Banks, the county was formed in February 1, 1859 and its county seat is Homer. The county has a total population of 18,395, as of 2010, with its area spanning 234 square miles (land area being 232 square miles, while water area being 1.8 square miles). The county consists of 11 ZIP codes, with ZIP code 30547 recorded as the one with the largest population. Banks County borders the following counties: Habersham County, Georgia to the north; Jackson County, Georgia to the south; Franklin County, Georgia to the east; Hall County, Georgia to the west; Stephens County, Georgia to the northeast, and; Madison County, Georgia to the southeast.
Banks County Clerk Information
County Clerks are vital to the operation of local governments and are the oldest position in local government. The County Clerk’s office provides the professional link between citizens with their local governing bodies and agencies of government at other levels. The County Clerk is available to answer any questions you may have concerning your county government.
Regina (Jenni) Gailey has been the county clerk since 2001 and served as assistant county clerk for 10 years prior to becoming county clerk. She achieved Master Clerk status in 2012 through the Clerks Masters Education Program at the University of Georgia Carl Vinson Institute of Government and is a certified Governmental Finance Officer. Jenni is also a member of the Georgia Finance Officers Association, Georgia County Clerks Association and the International Institute of Municipal Clerks.
The County Clerk is the Open Records Officer. Residents are encouraged to check for postings of agendas and minutes of the board meetings at the above link. For minutes attachments or any additional open record requests, please submit using the Open Records Request form to the County Clerk. Open records requests for the Sheriff’s Office should be directed to Shannon Schenck at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below is the physical address of the County Clerk:
Jenni Gailey, County Clerk
150 Hudson Ridge
Homer, Georgia 30547
Hours: Mon. – Fri. 8:00am – 5:00pm
Banks Clerk of Superior Court Information
The Clerk of Superior Court is a Constitutional Officer, meaning the position was created by act of the Legislature in the state constitution. The Clerk is the person responsible for protecting the integrity of public records and public funds.
The Clerk receives, manages, and processes all court documents, collects and disburses all court fees, fines, and costs, and provides the public with access to court records. As keeper of public records, the Clerk records deeds, mortgages, and notaries public.
Clerk’s Original File Is the Official File of the Court
- Criminal and Civil documents are filed and maintained in the Clerk’s Office.
- Each case is assigned a case number and Judge.
- Each civil case can have numerous parties as plaintiff or defendant.
- The District Attorney’s Office, the Public Defender’s Office, private attorneys, plaintiffs and/or defendants file all original documents pertaining to a case in the Clerk’s Office.
- Once a criminal case is sentenced or closed, the Clerk’s Office processes the necessary paperwork to send to the applicable State agency.
- The Clerk’s Office collects the fines, either from the individual or through the probation office, whichever is applicable, and processes and disburses the fine monies to local and State agencies.
- Civil Judge Assignment
- Computer Assigns Judge Randomly
- Criminal Judge
- Warrant issue via the Magistrate Judge are processed by Law Enforcement
- Sheriff’s Department transmits warrants to the Clerk of Superior / State Court for Judge Assignment.
- Clerk of Superior or State Court transmit warrants to the District Attorney’s Office or Solicitor General’s Office.
- District Attorney’s Office or Solicitor General’s Office will draw a case to be presented to the Grand Jury or filed in the Clerk of Superior/State Court’s Office
- Clerk will then assign a Criminal Case Number.
- Any document filed prior to the issuing of a Criminal Case Number can be filed listing the Warrant Number. These documents will be forwarded to the assigned Judge if necessary as the Judge is assigned during the warrant stage prior to the case being drawn by the District Attorney’s Office or Solicitor General’s Office.
- Jury Commissioners are responsible for preparing a balanced jury box. The jury box must comprise a cross-section of the community, adequately representing each identifiable group in the County population. Eligible names for the jury box can be taken from the voters list, driver’s license list, personal knowledge, etc. The law provides for the following excusals/deferrals from jury service when a called juror completes and returns an affidavit:
- Full-time student at a college, university, vocational school or other postsecondary school (OCGA 15-12-1(2)
- Primary caregiver which has active care and custody of a child under six years of age, with no reasonable available alternative child care (OCGA 15-12-1(a)(1) )
- Over 70 years of age;
- Permanent medical excuse statement provided by a doctor;
- Primary teacher in a home school program (Home Study Code Section (c) 20-3-690)
- Service member on ordered military duty
- Convicted of felony unless your rights have been restored.
Real Estate and Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) Filings
- The Clerk’s Office files real estate documents (warranty, quit claim, security, cancellation, liens, plats, etc.) and UCC Financing Statement documents for properties in Banks County. The real estate division of the Clerk’s Office is responsible for receiving, processing, recording, indexing and processing all fees relating to real estate, including the collection of real estate transfer taxes and intangible taxes. UCC documents are scanned to the Georgia Superior Court Clerk Cooperative Authority where they are indexed and listed on their web site.
Other Records and Services
- Federal, State, and County tax liens are sent to the Clerk’s Office for filing by the issuing agency.
- DD214, Military Discharge Records, are recorded at no charge to the veteran and they are no longer public record.
- Real estate, UCC and civil protective orders are scanned and transmitted to the Georgia Superior Court Clerks Cooperative Authority.
- The Clerk’s Office processes appeals to the Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court.
The records given below are the records available in the office of the Clerk of Superior Court.
Below is the physical address of the Clerk of Superior Court:
Tim Harper, Clerk of Superior Court
144 Yonah-Homer Road
Homer, Georgia 30547
Phone: (706) 677-6240
Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm
Banks Tax Assessor Court Information
The mission of the Banks County Board of Assessors and Appraisal Staff is to appraise all taxable property at 100% Fair Market Value in a fair and impartial manner and to administer the property tax laws of the State of Georgia fairly and efficiently in order to promote public confidence and compliance, while providing excellent customer service to the citizens of Banks County.
You may now view property information online. Please keep in mind that the property data contained on this site is intended for information purposes only. It is based on the best information available at the time of posting and is not warranted. The property data may not reflect the most current records. If you have questions regarding specific property information, please contact our office directly at 706.677.6223.
The following resources are now available online with the help of the office of the Tax Assessor:
Below is the physical address of the Tax Assessor:
Vicky Krieg, Chief Appraiser
150 Hudson Ridge
Homer, Georgia 30547
Phone: (706) 677-6223
Fax: (706) 677-6218
Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm
|Banks, GA Genealogy and Ancestry Records|
|Source: U.S. Census Bureau, USA Counties Data File Downloads|
|Total Ancestries Reported 2005-2009||15,335|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - United States or American - 2005-2009||3,359|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Arab - 2005-2009||0|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - British - 2005-2009||22|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Czech - 2005-2009||0|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Danish - 2005-2009||8|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Dutch - 2005-2009||56|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - English - 2005-2009||1,242|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - European - 2005-2009||8|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - French (except Basque) - 2005-2009||181|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - French Canadian - 2005-2009||44|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - German - 2005-2009||742|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Greek - 2005-2009||0|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Hungarian - 2005-2009||22|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Irish - 2005-2009||1,247|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Italian - 2005-2009||137|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Lithuanian - 2005-2009||0|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Norwegian - 2005-2009||71|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Polish - 2005-2009||61|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Portuguese - 2005-2009||2|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Russian - 2005-2009||0|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Scotch-Irish - 2005-2009||144|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Scottish - 2005-2009||309|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Slovak - 2005-2009||0|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Subsaharan African - 2005-2009||24|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Swedish - 2005-2009||58|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Swiss - 2005-2009||0|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Ukrainian - 2005-2009||0|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Welsh - 2005-2009||56|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - West Indian (excluding Hispanic groups) - 2005-2009||0|
|Persons Reporting Total Ancestry As - Other Groups - 2005-2009||7,499|
|Banks County Marriage License Office|
In order to obtain a marriage license in Banks County, the applicants must apply together, in person, at the County Clerk’s office. Both parties must present their state-issued picture ID, military ID, or passport, and know their social security number
|State Law:||Marriage – Title 19, Chapter 3 and Domestic Relations – Sections 19-3-62 to 19-3-64|
|All State Statutes:|| Information is online at the State Website|
|Office:||Banks County Marriage License|
|Location:||144 Yonah Homer Road, Homer, Georgia, 30547|
Banks County Clerks Office
County Government Office
Address: 144 Yonah Homer Rd # 8, Homer, GA 30547, United States